We Are Looking for Essay Writers
Who Will Help Raise the Awareness of
Refugee Rights in Korea!
* Application link: forms.gle/9EPBv3NEK4YZoCex6
1. Background of Essay Writing Project
In Korea, refugees are still viewed as people who are to be feared or pitied, and regarding refugees, fear and hatred prone information and news are overwhelmingly greater than the accurate information. Even leading NGOs are likely to depict refugees as pitiful people in their fund-raising efforts. These tendencies further keep Koreans from understanding refugees as ‘ordinary beings who manage daily lives in Korea.’
3. How the project is organized
That is why NANCEN wants to let the voice of refugees heard as they want to be heard in Korean society. We wish Koreans could come to understand that refugees are not to be feared or pitied. For this purpose, (sponsored by the Seoul city government,) we are trying to collect no less than 30 essays written by refugees and want to see the sparks triggered by the sincere, heartfelt writings in Korea.
4. Collection period: 2020.Sep.08~Sep.31
5. Who can join?
A person who has applied for refugee status in Korea. It's okay if you haven't been granted refugee status yet.
6. Collection procedure:
a. A writer decides on a topic of his or her essay.
Examples of topic: Ex) My life in my country of origin, my life in Korea, My love story, my family, To Korean Civil, I love to do, Human Rights Violations by the Korean Government, family relationship, job, daily life and routine, political activities, hometown situation, happiness, hobbies, opportunities, education, pets, unforgettable experiences, friends, favorite music, books, belief, and etc.
b. Deadline can be discussed with NANCEN.
c. A4 size 2-3 pages are to be written and emailed or delivered in person to NANCEN.
d. One photo related to the theme of your writing can be added. (The photo will be used for thumbnail on blog. Thus, it should be a loyalty free image or taken by a writer.)
e. Submitted essays and photos will be edited as little as possible by NANCEN and translated. Then they will be uploaded on NANCEN website (nancen.org).
f. Afterwards this collection of essays will be published as a book and given to all the writers.
g. NANCEN will make goods made out of expressions from the essays and get donations by selling them. All the donations will be used for the purpose of raising awareness of refugee rights in Korea.
7. Privacy protection
a. Writers’ personal information will be strictly protected when their essays are published and distributed openly.
b. Each writer should submit their pseudonym or pen name.
c. Specific private information should not be included in the essay.
d. General information (which can be found on online search) is not to be included in the essay if possible.
8. Payment for writing: 15,000 won per 1 page (A4 size)
9. Project goal and expected effect
* This project will change the Korean society’s awareness of refugees from ‘those to be pitied’ to ‘those to live along with.’
* This will provide refugees with an opportunity to voice their own thoughts and opinions.
* Koreans will be able to understand better the situation and reality faced by refugees in this country.
* The book will serve as a strong basis to present to the Korean government to request better refugee policies and system.
* A new message can be delivered to other NGOs who have a wrong picture of refugees.
10. Required documents
Writer’s bank book copy (to be submitted to the Seoul city government for payment for your writing), consent
* Application link: forms.gle/6JpreM8bbExeTHcH6